Recycle Christmas trees at West Point Lake | Environment
WEST POINT, GA - Do you know what you're doing with your Christmas tree as the decorations come down this year?
The U.S Army Corps of Engineers will be accepting real Christmas trees for recycling from Dec. 27 through Jan. 11.
You can drop the trees off in the parking lots of Yellowjacket Boat Ramp in Georgia and Rocky Point Boat Ramp in Alabama.
All decorations need to be removed before you drop your tree off.
Please place the trees in the designated locations in the parking lots. Dumping of household trash at these sites is strictly prohibited.
Park Rangers will place trees in the lake to create fishing structure at various locations.
Individuals who wish to place their own Christmas trees in the lake are reminded to avoid placing them in boating channels and to follow the guidelines below:
• Do not place the trees where they could become safety hazards to boaters or swimmers. For example, trees should not be placed near boat launching ramps, in shallow boat traffic channels, or at swimming areas.
• Use a suitable anchoring system to prevent the trees from floating away or moving around. A cement block will work well as an anchor for one or two trees, but it must be securely fastened to the tree using nylon twine or a similar material.
• Trees will attract more fish if they are placed in deeper water and in an area where the water depth changes significantly, such as near an underwater ridge or hump. Fish tend to use this type of area throughout the year.
Although a permit is not necessary to place a few Christmas trees in the lake, anglers who wish to install large numbers of trees or other types of structure for fishing reefs should contact the West Point Project Management Office at 706-645-2937.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man scratches lofty $500K prize in West Point
- Two people found dead in Valley, Ala. home identified
- Authorities save Valley suspect from drowning in Chattahoochee River
- Valley Police make arrest in rape case, teen suspect connected to other crimes
- West Point Police searching for 3 home invasion/robbery suspects